As a symbol, the egg played a great role already in the ancient world…. In Greece and Rome, to celebrate the equinox in March (the beginning of the year), it was customary to hang up colourful eggs and offer them as gifts. Painted eggs represented the hope for eternal life, immortality and fertility. For Greeks, the eggs were the symbol of new beginnings, but they were also used as perfume containers, ablution bowls and canteens for liquids.
While the modern world with its practical, scientific knowledge of biological forms could perhaps never view eggs with the wonder they aroused in our ancestors, we can understand their powerful symbolism.
An egg became a symbol of life because it encloses nascent life to emerge from it. It embodies the idea of rebirth and rejuvenation in the cycle of life, reflected also in its shape, with neither beginning nor end.
I chose to have it around me in colours, dots, swirls and various designs, all year through! And … I call it Eggcellence !
Large wooden egg with stand, hand painted and detailed with premium paint and gold paste.
(*ALL PRICES INCLUDE VAT)
• LILYS collection items are made to order, so each is one of a kind.
• I colour the eggs with acrylic or chalk paint and then I work on the artistic part of dotting, swirling and everything else .
• All items are 100% original artwork and are all individually designed and hand painted by me.
• A smooth, light satin touch is given to the finished item as it is sealed with premium quality varnish. The colours and designs are then permanently set, however, please avoid scrubbing the surface as it can be damaged.
• Clean surface with a soft cloth and avoid water, detergents etc.