Ceramic Large Egg hand painted in white and blue, decorated with flowers and a leaf garland inspired by Greek folklore art.
An egg already played a symbolic role in the ancient world…. In Greece and Rome, to celebrate the equinox in March (the beginning of the year), it was customary to hang up colourful eggs and offer them as gifts. In this example, eggs represented new beginnings. Romans used eggs as a burial offering. In the Egyptian myth of Creation, an egg was revered as the origin of the world. The Chinese already gave painted eggs as gifts at the beginning of spring some 5000 years ago.
While the modern world with its practical, scientific knowledge of biological forms could perhaps never view eggs with the wonder they aroused in our ancestors, we can understand their powerful symbolism.
An egg became a symbol of life because it encloses nascent life to emerge from it. It embodies the idea of rebirth and rejuvenation in the cycle of life, reflected also in its shape, with neither beginning nor end.
I love this shape and chose to have it around me in colours, dots, swirls and various designs, all year through! I guess it makes me feel even more the energy and vibes of life…
(*ALL PRICES INCLUDE VAT)
• LILYS collection items are made to order, so each is one of a kind.
• I colour the eggs with acrylic or chalk paint and then I work on the artistic part of dotting, swirling and everything else .
• All items are 100% original artwork and are all individually designed and hand painted by me.
• A smooth, light satin touch is given to the finished item as it is sealed with premium quality varnish. The colours and designs are then permanently set, however, please avoid scrubbing the surface as it can be damaged.
• Clean surface with a soft cloth and avoid water, detergents etc.
There are no reviews yet.